The museum operates since 1988. On the 11th November. The museum's permanent exhibition, a dedicated writer Antons Rupainis. Exhibitions on the history of the parish Berzgales, A. Rupainis nine companions, rural development, etc.
Tripper usually familiar with all the museum, and if they wish, and get acquainted with izstaigā Parish historic places in nature. Review: Church. Kirk mountains, estates, and A. Rupainis landlords Veitko family cemetry, resting at Meiranu or Micanu lake, students can play at Micanu lake demi-island, open – air stage.
Literary work Antons Rupainis (1906) started very early - at age fifteen. Already 1922nd at the beginning of newspapers printed his first poems and impersonation. Being Rezekne Teachers' College student, he was at all times, in its capacities - wrote poems and novels, conducted the choir and showed excellent actor's capabilities. Since he became a well-known writer, capable teacher, choir conductor, county song festival organizer, a theater troupe maker and director. For some time the writer was working at gymnasium of Varaklani, has been an official in Riga, but the pre-war years, worked at Taudejanu school. In these years of active acquainted with A. Ersu, J. Jaunsudrabinsh, Ed. Virzu.
Unfortunately, World War carried away their exile. Writer dies in Minnesota (USA), 1976th on the 20th April. Resting Berzgales cemetery. Here the writer set the sculptor Antons Velikans built monument.
All are welcome Berzgale, blue lakes!
Berzgale is an ancient Latgalian settlement that can be traced back to 9th century AD.
Located in northeastern corner of Rezekne county in the eastern part of Latvia, the village of Berzgale is a scenic countryside, covered with forests, lakes and rivers ~ converging where the rolling hills of Latgale begin.
Situated about 5 mi. from the main state road (which connects St. Petersburg, Russia and Warsaw, Poland)r Berzgale is about 16 miles north of the county seat of Rezekne.
TheBerzgale actually consists of two bodies of water, which are interconnected by a shoi't canal. The southern part is a shallower one (about 2.5 m deep) that slowly becomes covered with reeds, known also as Micans ( 1.36 km2, its basin covers 23 km2), and has a man-made islet. The smaller and northern one, known as Meirans (1;09 km2 large, 2.2 km long, 0.6 wide and its basin covers 33km2) is considerably deeper (ca 7m.), less overgrown, has two islets and is the beginning point for two rivers and a brook.
Here starts Ritupe, a river that flows east some 138 km. ending in River Velikaya, about 12 km. from the town of Ostrow, in Russia.
Berzgale has been officially known since 1468, when it was an outpost for castle of Rezekne (Rossitten in German) and was located at Kirkas Hill The Village from 1687 through 1870 was owned by Manteufels family. It is known that Russian tzar Alexander I was hosted by Manteufels in 1816, but sixteen years later this auxiliary castle was dismantled.
The homestead was sold to Weytko family, who built a new two-story manor house in a different location. On the Kirkas Hill a small Lutheran church was built in the 18th century, but later destroyed.
In 1770 a new church was built in the present day location, in honor of St. Ann by Baroness Manteufels, and the edifice was consecrated in
1776 by Bishop Pauiovsky. Today this church is an architectural monument that was remodeled recently and serves a local catholic parish.
The first school with a three-3 year curricula in Berzgale was set up by Weytko family in 1896. Since 1927-1990 the local elementary and secondary school was located at the old manor house. In 1990 a new school house was built. The old manor house now serves as a dormitory for a local trade school, which opened in 1992 offering a place where students come to learn crafts and trade.
Until 1993 Berzgale had a collective farm, as a new village was set up during the Soviet rule, building a number of Livani-type prefab houses. After the country regained its independence, the collective farm was abolished.
Berzgale's new Community Hall was built in the 1980s and now serves as the village sear. It has a local postal office (LV-4612), an auditorium, a public library and a museum of local history. There are couple stores, drug store, ambulance and a coffee shop in the village.
A Folklore group was established in 1957 and is still active, along with a local drama group, which performs plays also in Latgalian, at least once a year. There are local festivities, such as the Midsummers celebration and some sporting events on the peninsula at Lake Meirans.
The old village of Berzgale had its share of important people. Ontons Rupainis was a novelist, who wrote a novel about National Revival in Latgale (Mara mostas). Religious poetess and short story writer Naaizmerstule (ps. of Rozalija Tabine) was persecuted by Soviets and fired from her teaching profession.
Important spiritual and cultural contributions were made by local priests, among them Aleksandrs Pekss. Other community personalties were story writer and politician Jons Opincans, poets Tomass Seleckis and Vladislavs Bojars, a teacher and publicist Piters Kotans, journalist Vincents Mickans, editors Jezups Uljans and Stanislavs Kambala, Peteris Voitkuns (Klaiduns) poetess Vilhelmine Urtans. Also from Berzgale comes the playwright, theatrical director un drama lecturer Arturs Rubenis.
Rītupes iela 34, Bērzgales Parish, Bērzgales post office, Rezekne district, LV-4612Kontakti: