Piejūras brīvdabas muzejs ir Ventspils muzeja filiāle. Tas iepazīstina ar Kurzemes piekrastes iedzīvotāju ikdienu. Apmeklētāji var iepazīties ar zvejniecības attīstību, aplūkot dažādas laivu un plašu enkuru kolekciju, zvejnieku ēkas un citus objektus. Viens no ievērojamākajiem eksponātiem ir šaursliežu dzelzceļa vilciens, tā sauktais mazbānītis, kas pēc Otrā pasaules kara regulāri kursēja starp Ziemeļkurzemes zvejniekciemiem. Muzejs atvērts 1954. gadā.
The open-air exhibition hosts also the museum collection of anchors (more than 100 anchors of various types), the oldest exhibits thereof dating back to the 18th century. In summer 2002, several impressive exhibits joined the collection of anchors. Annual traditional holidays are also celebrated actively in the museum.
Boat craftsmen, who usually transferred their craft traditions from generation to generation, built boats skilfully. Success of fishing depended to the greatest extent on how stable the boat was on waves, how easy it could be sculled and controlled, while returning to the coast was more important.
Latvian and Livonian residential and household buildings are furnished with proper objects representing work, social life and holidays of fishermen and farmers.
The windmill from Ventspils District Užava Parish, Piņķi (built in 1864). The windmill features a four-storey body, the fifth storey is formed of the revolving part – hat. The windmill had three corn milling runs and a pearl-barley run (gaņģis).
Blacksmith’s forge. From Ventspils District, Ugāle Parish, Rāpati Village, “Brendznieki” (rebuilt out of a former threshing barn in 1932). Neither a farmer, nor a fisherman could do without work of blacksmith – a blacksmith knew how to hammer out both a good plough and a good anchor.
A typical Latvian farmer’s house of the last quarter of the 19th cent., “Smiltnieki”. The house has preserved its original volume of 1874 and the layout of 1891. The building is furnished with authentic objects reflecting life of five generations of a family. Brought to the museum from 4 Targales Street in Ventspils and restored in 2008.
The museum collection of anchors numbers more than 140 anchors of various types and dating from different periods. Some of them can be seen in the Seaside Park. Any visitor would be excited to compare the small anchors, tailored to be used for mooring of boats and fishing tools, with anchors of sailing ships and modern heavy-tonnage vessels.
The museum visitors are invited to visit the museum’s permanent exhibition, exhibitions and to attend the traditional events of the museum– Easter, singing Ligo songs on the eve of St. John’s day, The Day of Crafts.
Riņķu iela 2, Ventspils, LV 3601Kontakti:
no 1. maija līdz 31. oktobrim muzejs atvērts no plkst. 10:00 līdz plkst. 18:00
no 1. novembra līdz 30. aprīlim muzejs slēgts