The permanent exposition has been opened on April 14, 2006. The exposition presents the materials on the history of schools, higher education and teacher education, the development of pedagogical science at the University of Latvia and in Latvia. Visitors can see original documents and printed works on the history of the educational institutions of Latvia, and the development of pedagogy as science. Visitors get acquainted with text books and pedagogical press from different centuries. The museum stocks some 1500 exhibits (2010).
The museum has opened the Memorial room of LU professor Ludis Bērziņš (1870 – 1965) when Ludis Bērziņš museum was closed in Jaundubulti.
The goal of the museum is to be an active part of the study process and the scientific research, thus promoting the preservation of the pedagogical values of the former generations and the present time for the future generations.
Traditions of the museum:
- Publication of the series of collection of articles “Laikmets un personība” (Personality and the Age) since 2000;
- Meetings of the graduates, honoring the pedagogues;
- Organizing the competition of the teachers’ creative works, named after Ludis Bērziņš and honoring the winners of the competition;
- Commemorating significant scientists in the field of pedagogy (remembrance events, cemetery visits)
The museum cooperates with
· The School museum association of Latvia, the museum of schools in Riga, the museum of schools in Leipzig;
· The journal “ Skolotājs” (Teacher);
· The president of Ludis Bērziņš Remembrance foundation, the Honorary doctor of the University of Latvia prof. Kristaps Keggi (USA);
· Latvians and Latvian organizations abroad.
The museum has joined the Association of the historians of pedagogy of the Baltic states and the World Association of the historians of pedagogy (ISCHEE)Adrese:
Rīga, Anniņmuiža, Jūrmalas gatve 74/76Kontakti:
Director: Dr.paed. Aīda Krūze
For visiting, please, call: +371 67033859; + 371 2937140