The Seaside Open-Air Museum –
a structural unit of Ventspils museum – was established in 1954 (Ventspils Sea Fishery Open-Air Museum) under a resolution of the executive committee of that time. The field of its research is Kurzeme seacoast of the Baltic Sea. It was opened for visitors on the 3rd
of June, 1962. A substantial contribution to development of the museum and collection of the first exhibits was given by the first director of the museum Andrejs Šulcs, who brought the first boats, residential and household buildings of fishermen, as well as narrow-gauge railway train, to the developing museum (www.mazbanitis.ventspils.lv
). The museum collections number more than 24,000 objects distributed indoors and in outdoor expositions (about 4 ha). A part of the exhibition is displayed outdoors, a part – within the building of expositions and art exhibitions opened on June 5th
, 1970, which houses also premises for storage of museum collections. From the interior exhibition, a visitor can learn the main fishery development stages, how different fish were caught, how boats were made. The biggest object out of 800 ones that can be seen within the museum exhibition is the windmill from Piņķi in
Užava Parish (arrived at the museum in the early 70s of the 20th
cent.), but the tiniest one – a needle for sewing floats on net.