The first exhibition with museum significance in Kuldiga was organized in 1899 at Town Hall, in Baznica Street. Till 30`s there were no exhibitions in Kuldiga but gathering of historical and ethnological objects continued. Museum was founded in 1935 and since 1940 is located in Pils street 5, Kuldīga. Museum collections started to form in 1936 on base of private collections and Kuldiga high school museum materials. The first museum piece was painting by Friedrich Spehr “Sight of Rumba”. There are 96 384 museum pieces in collections of Kuldiga District museum (by January 1, 2010). There are different collections in Kuldiga District museum, for instance, archaeological, ethnographical, numismatic etc. There are written documents from the 13th century in museum collections. Significant evidence of social life in Kuldiga on 19th century is collection of photographs and negative files. Art collection consists of paintings, graphics, sculptures and objects of applied art. Museum organises historical and art exhibitions , traditional and innovative activities.
Museum is located in building that is a cultural monument of national significance and was built at the beginning of 20th century. The building is located in the most beautiful place in Kuldiga – near the Venta waterfall called Rumba which is considered to be the widest waterfall in Europe. In cooperation with Norwegian restoration specialists museum building experienced a large scale restoration of its facade on 2009.
Pils iela 5, Kuldīga, LV-3301Kontakti:
Ticket and informacion office